Wire Photo Clips

In my post yesterday, I showed you the simple personalized photo blocks I made for Christmas gifts. I thought I would show you how to make the photo clips I made for the blocks.


You'll need some basic wire, something strong but flexible. I found that the best source is the wire sold at the home improvement stores used for hanging drop ceiling. It's thick yet flexible, and worked well for my projects. Plus you can get 100 feet for about $3. I started with a 14" length for the clips on my projects.

Next, you'll need something round that you can wrap the wire around, approximately an inch in diameter, although this method could be adjusted to make any size clip. I opted for a spool of thread to wrap my wire on.

Position the wire to begin wrapping your round object, leaving about 1/2 inch of excess that will remain straight. Hold the wire firmly in place.

Begin wrapping the wire around the object, aligning the wire as straight as possible, and as closely as possible to the previous wrap.

Repeat the previous step to form a second loop, again keeping the loops as tightly together as possible. This actually happens somewhat naturally, but it helps to be aware of the alignment.

Next, pull the wire off of the circular object. Bend the excess wire from the end across the center of the loops. This doesn't actually add any functionality to the clip, just a little dimension.

And lastly, bend the other end of the wire (the stem) to position the clip upright. If you'd like, you can get creative with this part and have curves or even curly Q's in your stem.

Now you're ready to add some simple photo clips to your creative projects.

Be sure to check out the endless list of inspirational ideas at my home page childmade.com.