Wire Word Ornament Hooks

Sometimes ideas are like recipes ... if you combine two things, you get something totally new and wonderful! Recently, I've stumbled across two inspiring posts. The first one some time back was a tutorial on how to make wired words. The second was a more recent tutorial on how to make fancy ornament hooks. I combined the two and came up with these fancy wired word ornament hooks!

Aren't they great??! And they're especially so because they are S-I-M-P-L-E! If you can write, you can make these. You just "write" with wire instead of with a pencil.

The only things you will need is wire and a pair of pliers with a wire cutter. I like to use the wire sold at the hardware stores used for drop ceiling. It comes in a roll of 100' for about $3.

The length you will need for each word will depend upon the word you choose and how big or small you "write" the words. I suggest you just work from the roll and cut when you're finished, leaving about 3-4" at the end.

Begin writing out your letters. I started with something short and sweet -- JOY.

If your wire is very flexible, you'll be able to make your letters correctly. If you use thicker wire like mine, you'll want to improvise a few of the turns, just to make your job easier. It looks the same in the end.

If you do need to make a sharp turn, use the pliers to "crimp" the wire a bit.

Finish your word, then cut the wire, leaving about 3-4" at the other end. You can always cut more if it's too long.

Turn the end of the wire to form a tight hook. This end will attach to the ornament.

At the other end, form a tight loop. Then curve the excess wire into a gentle hook.

Make any final adjustment to your word. I didn't like my original "J" so I reshaped it.

And it's ready to hang ornaments on your tree!

This really adds a wonderful, special touch to the tree, without being overstated.

Give it a try! It's so easy, I'm sure you'll be pleased with your results. I've decided I'm going to give my grandmas each a set made with each of the grandkid's names on them. They're both 90, and I'm thinking this might be the one thing they don't already have!

I'd love to see your finished projects!

And be sure to check out the endless list of inspirational ideas at my home page childmade.com.


Party hopping? Save time and check out Party Central.


I'll be linking to some of the fabulous link parties listed on the right sidebar ... but really, that's a LOT of parties! I probably won't get to them all, but you should stop in and visit a few yourself.
While you're at it, stop by my home page and add a few links of your own!