FALL Handmade Card Tutorial

I'm quite sure that when my mom taught me how to sew a few decades ago, she never imagined I would someday use the ability to stitch greeting cards. But the selection of thread colors and fancy stitches available with sewing is like adding a whole storage cabinet to your scrapbooking closet, but without requiring the added space.

This particular card was done with a combination of paper and fabric. Printed fabrics are available in a wide variety of designs that are appropriate for a fall card, or solid-colored fabric cut to shape works well too. A coordinating piece of sackcloth, a few buttons, and a little raffia add some dimension to the effect.

The leaf in this example was selected fresh from the outdoors and secured to the card front using 5 metal eyelets. Hammering the holes and attaching the eyelets is my son's favorite part.

The inside of the card was done in a similar theme. In this case, I used the card for an October birthday, but it could be used for any occasion.

And if you don't have a sewing machine, hand-stitching makes for an even more personal touch.