Paper DOILY Bird Tutorial

I thought I would post a simple idea that doesn't need much instruction, but which I thought was utterly wonderful. This is not an original idea but came out of my archives. Unfortunately, that means I don't have a source (could be grandma, could be something I saw at a craft fair years ago, could be something that morphed in my head.) In any case, I hope you enjoy it.

For this project, all you need is one paper doily, any size, and a 6" length of narrow ribbon. But I'd recommend having more than one handy, since they're so easy and I'm sure you'll want to do more than one. For tools, you'll need a pair of scissors and a hole punch.

Using the template below, or something similar, cut out the parts for the body and the wings. Fold the body in half from the tip of the beak to about half-way down the back. Cut a slit through the fold at an angle as indicated in the template. While folded, punch a hole past the fold into the section just cut, as indicated on the template.

Now slide the wing section into the slit, tie the ribbon through the punched holes, and that's it!

Since you can get paper doilies at the dollar store for about $1 for 100 doilies, you can make tons of these for just a few bucks.